Saturday, October 18

Decisions, Decisions


"Camren! That baby's coming!" Cora said in between contractions.

"WHAT?! NOW?!" Camren said in a panic. "Why now?! Wait, what do I do?!"

"Camren! Get a hold of yourself! It's just labor!" Cora said trying to breathe through her pain.


"Right, I'm sorry dear." Camren said trying to calm down. "I'm here to help, just tell me what to do, because I have absolutely no idea. I meant to talk to my dad but...I never got to it...sorry."

Cora smiled reassuringly, "It's alright. Just...don't panic. That's all. We'll be ok, we can do this."

"Absolutely!" Camren said trying to be cheerful.


"This is really a lovely nursery. I really do hope I'm not giving birth to twins though..." Cora said nervously. She didn't relish the idea of giving birth twice in the same day.

"Oh, why not? Twins are fun." Camren said with a chuckle.

"I'm sure they are, but giving birth to twins is probably not my idea of fun." She grumbled between contractions.

"Ah, right...sorry. Um, is there anything I can do to help?" Camren said feeling rather helpless.

"You know, I could really use some juice right about now. Would you be a dear and fetch me some, please?' Said Cora deciding she would rather do this alone. She was in too much pain and had no patience for Camren's childish nature at the moment.

"Juice, yes...right away." Camren said happy to have a specific task to focus on and he dashed out of the room.


Cora gave birth to a beautiful little baby girl. "Hello little one." Cora said softly and sighed heavily. "I'm so sorry...I just....I can't do this. I can't be a mother, not now. Please forgive me." She said sadly.

Cora carefully placed the baby in her bassinet an kissed her cheek then walked out of the nursery and downstairs. It was difficult, but she had come to a decision and she really didn't think she had the strength to talk to Camren about it, she feared he would only talk her into doing something else. She just couldn't be bound to one place, to one person, not now.


"Cora? I have your juice...hey, you've had the baby!" Camren said happily. "Wait...what are you doing down here? Are you going out? Right now? Right after giving birth, is that wise?"

Cora frowned, she really had hoped to be able to slip away and come back in a day or two to talk things out more calmly. "Yes, you have a very pretty baby girl now." She said quietly.

"A girl? That's great! We'll have to think of a name, of course." Camren said excitedly. "I want to go see her....are you ok?"

"Camren, I can't be here. I can't stay here any more. I need to go back home, my own space." Cora said trying to find the right way to explain herself.

"Leave...? Now? But I haven't even met her! You'd take my daughter away without even letting me see her? Letting me spend any time with her?" Camren said angrily. He had never imagined Cora to be this way.

Cora shook her head, "No, you are not understanding. I am leaving the baby here. I'm...I'm not ready to be a mom. I know she would be way better off here than with me...."

Camren frowned struggling to understand what she was saying. Surely he was misunderstanding. No mother would willingly leave her baby behind. "Cora, I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding this. You are leaving? Alone? Without the baby?"

Cora nodded.

"How could you do such a thing?!" Camren said suddenly quite angry. "I don't understand! What did I do, Cora? What did I do that was so wrong, so horrible that you would walk out not just on me, but your own daughter?!"

"I never wanted to be pregnant! I never wanted a child. I don't want to be married, I don't want to live here permanently. I'm just not ready for all of this, Camren! I'm sorry but I'm just not like you! This is not the life I want!" Cora said desperately. She was tired of pretending.


"So you would abandon your newborn baby just because she doesn't figure into your plans?  How can you be so selfish?! If you don't want to marry, if you don't want to live here, that's fine! It's not ideal, but there are other ways! You don't have to give up on her altogether, Cora! She's your baby!" Camren said still trying to make sense of it all.

"Please, don't." Cora said quietly. "Don't try to convince me to do things your way. I can't...I won't. Camren... We're not right for each other. I... I slept with someone else a few days ago. I just can't be exclusive, not for life. And a baby...I'm sorry, that's a life long commitment I'm just not ready for!"

Camren was silent for a while, gathering his thoughts, trying to process it all. "You know Cora, I get it. You're not like me. You don't like commitments. You like keeping your options open, you like sleeping around. Fine." He said with such total calmness it was eerie. "I can understand all of that, Cora. We could have worked something out, to where you still have your freedom, your friends, your life the way you like it. But what I just can't understand is you turning your back on your own child. That I will never ever understand. She's small, defenseless, innocent! She's family! You don't turn your back on family! No matter how inconvenient it may seem to you!"

"Camren..." Started Cora.

"No! No more, Cora. Go! Do whatever you wish! I hope you never regret what you're doing right now, Cora. I hope you can live with yourself. Goodbye, and good luck." Camren said and walked away. He had his daughter to meet, and name. His daughter who was now motherless.


Camren named his baby girl Dawn. Dawn Montgomery. And he loved her dearly and was always attentive. He made sure she never cried for long and was quick to feed her and change her diapers when needed. He held her, talked to her and cuddled her often. He would make sure Dawn had enough love for two parents, even if she only had one.


Love there was aplenty. With two grandparents, two uncles and an aunt, baby Dawn was the most loved member of the family. Blythe and Ben helped in every way possible, including comforting Camren when he was feeling depressed.

Cole, the closest person to Camren, never left his brother alone unless he needed it. Cole knew when his brother needed company, when he needed to vent, when he needed to goof around, and when he needed to be left alone. Cole made sure he took care of his twin as best as he could.

4 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW!!! I had completely forgotten that Cora was non-committal. I have mixed feelings. One part of me is mad at her for doing this, but the other part of me understands and feels sorry for her. The Montgomerys are soo great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Jes! Yeah, I wasn't sure which way to go with Cora and Camren when I started writing this chapter. It really just came to me as I started writing it lol. I like that it's not the traditional scene. Usually it's a single mother, and the guy walks out. This way, it's a single dad and the girl walks out lol. Poor Camren though.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, poor Camren. Definitely a different twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it. That happened to my Sim, too! His baby's mom just up and left after giving birth. It definitely makes things complicated in some ways. I so feel for Carmen!

    ReplyDelete